Bitcoin Wallet: Full 2018 Guide
Quick inner navigation:
Bitcoin was first mined in 2009 as an open source project. It is a virtual or digital form of currency and is stored in a wallet, more or else similar to how we keep our money in physical wallets. When you complete a transaction, you save your bitcoins in a wallet to safeguard them against theft.
What is a Bitcoin Wallet?
To utilize Bitcoin, you require a wallet, software that allows you to store, send and get bitcoins. There are three sorts of wallets: desktop wallets, mobile wallets, and custodial wallets.
Are Bitcoin Wallets Anonymous?
Yes, Bitcoin wallets are designed to be anonymous. They offer you a secure and safe storage for your Bitcoins and unless you tell, people shouldn’t be able to know what’s in your Bitcoin Wallet (unless you disclose your private keys)
Are Bitcoin Wallets Safe?
Depends on which wallet you would like to have. But generally, wallets offer you a secure storage for your coins. Read on to find out which wallet you should go for or which one offers you greater convenience.
Are Bitcoin Wallets Free?
Yes, basic Bitcoin wallets are free, and you can download one for use within minutes. It’s simple to set up one too. We will shortly see how we go about doing so.
What are the different types of Bitcoin wallets?
This is a very critical question because the answer allows you to choose what Bitcoin wallet to use. With this in mind, let’s consider the three forms of Bitcoin wallets below.
- Desktop wallets >> are kept on your computer, and they give you full control over your wallet.
- Hardware wallets >> are physical devices that store your bitcoins offline, thanks to this, they cannot be hacked and your Bitcoins cannot be stolen.
- Mobile wallets >> are set up on your cell phone or tablet and enable you to utilize Bitcoin for day by day exchanges in shops and general stores by scanning a (QR) code.
- Custodial wallets >> are situated on the World Wide Web, and they allow their users and owners to use BTC (Bitcoin) virtually anywhere.
Desktop Wallets allow users to create a private address where they can receive and send bitcoin at their discretion, and they are good bitcoin wallets.
- This address also provides a place to protect their private key.
- This can be quickly set up by installing the software on your computer.
Hardware wallets keep your bitcoins offline, thus cannot be hacked and stolen.
- The hardware wallets are immune to viruses (from computers).
- These wallets can store not only Bitcoins but also other cryptocurrencies.
- The safest Bitcoin wallets
- Hardware wallets can be quite expensive.
Mobile Wallets are directly installed on your mobile phone or tablet.
- Allow their owner to make transactions anywhere, at any time, making them popular bitcoin wallet with those always on the move.
- You can also download a Bitcoin wallet app for further convenience.
Custodial Wallets merely store your Bitcoin on a third-party website.
- It allows you to access your BTC from anywhere.
- However, there is a risk of trusting someone else with that information, and it shouldn’t be your first pick in regards to Bitcoin wallets.
How to create and setup your bitcoin wallet
- Are you wondering about how to set up a Bitcoin wallet? Be calm. Follow these steps to create a Bitcoin wallet in no time.
- Download the original – A few people think that the first bitcoin wallet, Bitcoin Core, is the best. It has been scrutinized and upgraded since its creation.
- Visit Bitcoin’s website, bitcoin.org, to download the application.
- This program will work on Macs, PC, and Linux servers. When you download the product, the Bitcoin client will try to build up a system and start downloading the Bitcoin piece chain.
- You’ll require every one of the pieces in the chain before you can send or get any exchanges.
- Utilize elective wallets – There are a lot of comparable wallets, but all have their particular weaknesses and specific functions.
- Hive, for instance, is accessible for Macs and incorporates an app store that interfaces with other Bitcoin services.
Ordnance is a wallet that is explicitly outlined for upgraded security.
Each has their establishment idiosyncrasies.
Hive is specially intended for learners. Utilize a lightweight wallet – There are a couple of wallets that take up less space on your hard drive. These work at a quicker speed since they don’t download the entire blockchain. Unlike blockchain Bitcoin wallets, these require just a little piece of the blockchain at once, making it quicker. Some prevalent lightweight wallets are Multibit and Electrum. These wallets are less secure than the wallets that require the full block squares.
Best Bitcoin Wallet
The Ledger Nano S is arguably the best bitcoin wallet today. It’s a hardware wallet which makes it impossible to hack. It stores coins offline and has state of the art security. Like its main competitor, Trezor, Ledger has a screen and two buttons which can be used to make a transaction on a malware infected computer. For added security, the wallet lets you set a PIN code and a 24-word passphrase to help you backup your funds in case anything ever happens to your wallet. To complete a payment with the Ledger Nano S, you use the two physical buttons to confirm the payment. Your payment details are also be displayed on the screen to ensure you double check.
Additionally, the wallet works with desktop web and mobile wallets for fast payments. Since bitcoin payments are broadcasted to the blockchain online, you can easily connect your Ledger with a web wallet like MyEtherWallet and send ethereum coins to any address fast. Most hardware wallets have the same feature and they are generally more secure than any alternative wallet.
However, what makes Ledger Nano S the best BTC wallet is that it offers more value for money. For a price of $99, the wallet supports more cryptocurrencies, including ripple and has similar or even better features compared to competing wallets like Ledger. The Ledger is also extremely user-friendly and you can find numerous tutorials on how to set it up.
What Bitcoin wallet to use?
We know what a Bitcoin Wallet is. Let’s focus a bit more on three popular Bitcoin wallets. In the end, you should be sure of what Bitcoin wallet to use.
Ledger Nano S
a Bitcoin hardware wallet, which has a very convenient design and a good reputation around the world.
- Ledger Nano S comes with three levels of security.
- It’s portable as it has a small size and is very convenient to carry around.
- Very simple to use.
- High security.
- Works with Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome.
For more read our Ledger Nano S review
It is regarded as the best software Bitcoin wallet. It has the following features:
- sending and receiving money
- tracking transactions
- backing up your wallet in case of an unexpected event
It takes a lot of time for it to sync, but it’s worthy of your time.
Make sure that before you download, you have enough storage as this wallet will quickly take up over 145GB.
Another one from Ledger. Ledger Blue is an extremely secure Bitcoin hardware wallet that comes with a touchscreen.
- Ledger Blue is a very secure hardware wallet as it provides its users with two passwords (seed and pin).
- Very easy to use.
- The instructions that come with the device are very helpful and clear.
- Durable and high-quality touchscreen.
- The safest option today.
- It has all the features as Bitcoin-QT
- Allows you to store your Bitcoin off-line. It also allows you to encrypt and backup your BTC.
- Can be downloaded, but pay attention to your storage!
One of the best bitcoin hardware wallet. Trezors are produced by a European company and are one of the first in this market.
- The hardware wallet has a screen.
- Has a small size and convenient design.
- Extra safe.
- Easy to use.
- The wallet can work with other cryptocurrencies too.
For more read our Trezor review
- It’s lighter than all of the other wallets
- It syncs quickly
- It allows you to recover all your data by using a unique password set by you. If you go with this wallet, please make sure that you don’t forget the password as you will not retrieve it!
- You can download it over the net, and you will find a guide on how to set up your bitcoin wallet.
What to look for after setting up your bitcoin wallet
- Security – You should consider features that ensure you will find all of your Bitcoin…
- Ease of use – There should be an area where you will see all of your transactions. From there, it is easier to track and manage your operation- The wallet allows you to paste the code when you want to transfer Bitcoins to another person.
- Authentication and encryption– you should be able to create a QR code from the UI of your wallet. Unless you’re a business or want people to send you Bitcoin, you don’t need a QR code. However, if you’re going to receive BTC, you will need people to scan your system so they can transfer their Bitcoin.
Take that first step towards securing your Bitcoins by having a Bitcoin wallet that will serve you best. Remember, the market always changes so be careful with your transactions. Now you know everything there is to know about what a Bitcoin Wallet is, how to set up one and how it helps you. Thank you for reading this guide, and I firmly believe that it has been helpful. Bookmark us for more on this exciting topic.