Bitcoin Wallet Android; Are They Passable?
Quick inner navigation:
Just like the normal fiat currencies such as Dollars and Euros which we store in our leather wallets; digital currencies are stored in digital wallets. There are several types of digital wallets in which we can store our digital currencies including hardware wallets, paper wallets, desktop wallets, and android wallets. Let us exclusively focus on Bitcoin Android Wallets which are Bitcoin wallets installed and operated on Android Devices such as phones, tablets, and phablets.
What are Android Bitcoin Wallets?
Bitcoin Android Wallets are applications installed and managed on Android Devices such as phones, tablets, and phablets.
Disclaimer: Despite Bitcoin Wallet Android Apps is one of the most convenient ways to store your Bitcoins, it is important to note that you should be cautious while using them. They are highly vulnerable to hacking, which can result in the loss of your Bitcoins.
Therefore, always do a thorough research before embracing an Android Wallet as the storage platform of your cryptocurrencies. As an additional precaution, avoid storing large amounts of digital currencies on Android Wallets that can cost you a fortune in case of cyber attacks.
Android was the first mobile platform to launch Bitcoin wallets applications. Initially, these applications required the user to download the entire Bitcoin blockchain (network). Today, it is nearly impossible to download the entire Bitcoin blockchain on an Android Device, as it can consume lots of storage space of at least 180 GB. Currently, the Bitcoin Wallets for Android directly connect to the Bitcoin network. They then synchronize only the relevant information to a given transaction instead of downloading the entire blockchain (network).
- To use an Android Wallet, you have to first download the application and install it on your device.
- Upon installation, the Android Bitcoin Wallet Applications will give you two options.
- The first option will be to pair your device with an already existing account, in case you have one.
- While the second option will be to create a new account in case you are a new user.
- Pairing your device with an already existing Bitcoin wallet simply involves scanning of QR codes or use of Near Field Communication (NFC) features.
- Creating a new account involves coming up with a new wallet which is achieved through the offered step by step guidance.
- Once you are done pairing or creating a new wallet, you are free to send (in case you have any) or receive Bitcoins into your Bitcoin Wallet for Android in various transactions you make.
- Some robustly developed Bitcoin Android Wallets have advanced security features and can even be linked to hardware wallets.
Best Bitcoin Wallet Apps for Android
- Bitcoin wallet is one of the services offered at bitcoin.com.
- This wallet supports eight languages.
- It focuses on providing simple but efficient security, via a 2-factor login and backup file provided when creating the wallet.
The backup file has information on how to recover the wallet or password in the event that any of them is lost. Additionally, the file also contains information on private keys used to validate transactions.
- Bitcoin wallet charges a fee of approximately 0.13$ per transaction.
- The application is decentralized hence making eliminating the need for third parties in transactions.
- Bitcoin Wallet has a rating of 3.8-star from its users on Google Play Store.
- With the Airbitz mobile Wallet, you can securely buy, sell, and store Bitcoins on your mobile device.
- It is beginner friendly and has strong security features that include two-factor verifications and auto-encryption.
- The Android Wallet is decentralized in nature and is backed up to run even when the Airbitz server goes down.
- Airbitz has received a 4.2-star-rating from its users on the Google Play Store.
- The platform charges a fee or approximately 0.05$ per transaction.
- Mycelium is a Bitcoin company founded in 2008.
- The company’s version of the mobile wallet encrypts all your Bitcoin data and keys.
- As an additional security measure, the Android Wallet users can create a backup by noting down a 12 alpha-numeric seed provided in the application.
- The wallet creates a new address for every transaction, which cannot be reused. This makes transactions private and fungible.
- The mobile wallet is compatible with cold storage options such as hardware wallets, which keep your Bitcoins 100% secure while not in use.
- Mycelium has a 3.8-star rating with its users on Google Play Store.
- Electrum is one of the best Bitcoin Wallet for Android for beginners because of it’s easy to use interface.
- It was developed by Thomas Voegtlin and is compatible with its desktop version.
- The Android Wallet is built around payment requests in particular and can offer cold storage for Bitcoins.
- It offers its users a hybrid security model combined with SPV (Simple Payment Verification).
- Electrum has an averagely 3.2-star rating from its users on Google Play Store.
- GreenBits is an Android Bitcoin Wallet for GreenAdress’ Wallet Service.
- It has an average of 3.5-star review from its users on the Google Play store.
- GreenBits offer fair transaction policies, including fee policies.
- The Android Wallet supports a number of functionalities including:
- Hardware wallets.
- Payment protocols via clickable links, QR Codes, and Near Field Communication (NFC).
- Four different types of two-factor authentification including SMS, OTP, Email, and Robot Call.
- Decentralized validation of transactions.
- Sweeping paper wallets; among others.
- Coin.space is an easy-to-use Bitcoin Android Wallet App that enables users to make and receive free worldwide payments.
- It has a 4.1 rating on Google Play Store.
- The Android Wallet has basic privacy policies and offers a secured transactional environment, with total control over your money.
- GreenAddress is another Bitcoin Wallet for Android that is free to install and use.
- The platform uses new addresses for every transaction thereby keeping the user’s privacy at a high-end.
- Additionally, the application doesn’t support storage of keys within its confines as an extra security precaution.
- It also offers a two-factor identification.
- GreenAddress has a 3.5-star rating with its users on Google Play Store.
Are Bitcoin Wallets for Android safe?
Are android wallets safe to store Bitcoins?
- When it comes to the safety of storing Bitcoins, the most secure forms of storages should have the ability to keep the private keys off internet access.
- Wallets compatible with cold storages, such as Mycelium, are the best to consider when it comes to Android Wallets.
- This is because cold storages such as paper and hardware wallets render the private keys, used to authenticate information, inaccessible by hackers.
What kind of security do Android Wallets use?
Different Bitcoin Wallets for Android, have different security measure.
- Firstly, there are the various verification protocols required before accessing the wallets. The most robust verification procedures usually revolve around a 2-factor verification requirement before accessing your Android Wallet.
- Secondly, some applications such as Mycelium give a seed, which is an alphanumerical character, used to recover the account in case a user loses his or her Android Device.
- Additionally, most Bitcoin Wallets for Android offer backups for recovering lost wallets.
- Thirdly, platforms such as GreenAddress use new addresses for every transaction giving users fungibility privileges.
- Finally, some Android Wallets are compatible with cold storages; this enables users to securely save their Bitcoins when not in use of them.
In general, the Best Bitcoin Wallet for Android should have either more or all of the above security details.
Should you rely on mobile wallets or are other kinds of wallets safer?
Mobile wallets are the most flexible options for using your Bitcoins in different transactions. This is because you can access them at any given time, and at any given location, provided there is a good internet connection.
As a precaution, it is advisable to avoid storing lumpsum amounts of Bitcoins in mobile wallets. When not using the Bitcoins, you can always transfer them to cold storages such as hardware wallets, which are the safest options.
What are the other kinds of wallets?
Web wallets are cryptocurrencies wallets that are exclusively accessed via websites. They do not require the installation of any applications on either desktop or mobile devices. Examples of Web Bitcoin Wallets include GreenAddress and coin.space
- They can be accessed on any given device without arousing suspicion.
- They offer support services that can enhance the experience with Bitcoins, especially for new users.
- Your private keys are hosted online and can render your coins vulnerable in case of cyber-attacks.
These wallets need to be installed on desktop or laptop computers as any other types of software. Most desktop wallets download the whole Bitcoin or cryptocurrency blockchain (network), meaning that they will reduce your hard drive capacity. However, they also offer the option of just having a core Bitcoin wallet without having to download the whole blockchain.
Examples of desktop wallets include Electrum, Blockchain.info, and Armory.
- They are integrative with hardware wallets hence can keep your Bitcoins secure.
- You can create multiple wallets.
- You can earn some extra income from taking part in verification of transactions.
- Convenient for frequent desktop users.
- Vulnerable to hacking.
- Require huge storage spaces in circumstances where the entire blockchain is to be downloaded.
Paper wallets are inferior forms of hardware wallets.
- They are the safest means of storing cryptocurrencies since they render private keys required to validate transactions inaccessible by users.
- They keep your precious cryptocurrencies offline, so they are un-hackable.
- Got to have when storing large amounts of currencies
- They are expensive to acquire.
- Losing a hardware wallets renders your Bitcoins inaccessible.
Mobile Android Bitcoin Wallets are the most flexible types of Bitcoin wallets since they can be accessed on portable Android Devices at any given time. Nevertheless, the Android Wallet Apps should be used with precaution especially when it comes to storage of Bitcoins.
Having gained significant knowledge on wallets for android, you can further expound your cryptocurrencies knowledge by looking at our other related posts.
Thanks for scrolling along.