Bitmain Antminer S9 – All You Need To Know
Quick inner navigation:
Initially, mining was the extraction of valuable minerals or materials from the earth. Technological advancement has made mining go digital. Hence mining has been given a different meaning. Instead of Gold, digital currencies known as Cryptocurrencies used for transactions are now being mined. The term Bitcoin Mining was first used by Bitcoin’s founder Satoshi Nakamoto. Mining bitcoin involves solving complex mathematical problems in order to get rewarded with the precious digital coins. Unlike gold, no central body gives permission to miners, anyone with electricity and a mining machine can mine bitcoin. A block is a record of some or all of the most recent transactions. Collection of blocks is called a blockchain. Bitcoin mining is the process of verifying and adding transaction records to the blockchain. In order to add a block to the blockchain, a complex mathematical problem needs to be solved. This protocol is referred to as the “proof of work”. The faster a miner can solve these mathematical problems the higher the bitcoin mining rewards.
What Is a Bitmain Antminer S9?
The Bitmain antminer S9 is a Cryptocurrency ASIC miner released by the privately owned Bitmain technologies limited in May 2016. The Bitmain technologies limited was founded in 2013 by Jihan Wu and Micree Zhan. The Antminer S9 mines SHA256 Cryptocurrencies with the bitcoin being at the top of the list. Other coins mined by the s9 miner are the Peercoin, Bytecoin and many more. The Antminer S9 uses an application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) which uses the SHA256 cryptogamic hash algorithm, these are chips developed for the specific purpose of mining and earning Cryptocurrency that requires the use of the proof of work consensus in the shortest possible time with faster hardware.
Since mining is a network resource-intensive process, miners would need the help of a mining hardware to scale through the proof of work consensus governance protocol. One device that has gained wide recognition over time when it comes to mining bitcoin is the Bitmain Antminer S9. Not so far back, the increase in computing power has been inversely proportional to the size of the hardware; the ASIC S9 is no different, with a 16-nanometer semiconductor bringing bitcoin mining to a whole new level. Technologically, the 16nanometer semiconductor of the ASIC s9 holds advantages over other miners because it makes the Antminer S9 more electrically efficient and has greater computing ability than other miners. Buy Antminer s9 to enjoy bitcoin mining and also make more profits while at it.
Bitmain Antminer S9 Price
Everything good comes at a price. Asides from the technological advancements of the BitmainAntminer s9, it is good to know that the price of the s9 miner in relation to its output is encouraging which makes it a must buy. The newcomers to Bitcoin mining should definitely buy Antminer s9. In relation to other ASIC miners, the Antminer s9 miner is more expensive but worth it. It is important to know that the price of the ASIC s9 is relative to the price of bitcoin. When the price of bitcoin was reaching new all-time highs in late 2017, the price of the Antminer S9 was about $6000 on Amazon. But as the price of bitcoin dropped in March 2018, the Bitmain Antminer s9 sold for as low as $1500. At the moment, (April 2018,) the s9 miner sells for as low as $1200. When considering buying a BitmainAntminer s9, you should always make sure you do a thorough finding and checks several Antiminer s9 reviews in order to avoid scams and only buy directly from the source or a trusted reseller.
Bitmain Antminer S9 Profitability
To buy a new hardware like the Bitmain Antminer s9, one needs to know how profitable it is. The profitability of the Antminer s9 can be calculated using a profitability calculator. It is a tool that let you know the potential earnings of your ASIC s9 hardware. What affects mostly the profitability of the s9 miner is the reduction in the mining reward and the cost of electricity in your region. Using the Antminer s9 is still profitable just not as much as it was before because of the reduction in mining rewards.
To understand more about the profitability of the s9 miner, you need to understand the hash power or the hash rate. The hash power refers to the measuring unit that measures how much power is consumed by the bitcoin network to keep generating blocks at the normal mean time of 10 minutes. Energy is consumed to solve mathematical intensive computations to find the blocks. The computations are generally mathematical puzzles that need computing power for a miner like the Bitmain Antminer s9 to solve. It has a hash power of 14Th/s (terra hash per second) which is 3 times that of the antminer s7 which means it is 3 times more effective. It has been gathered that a single s9 unit has a hashrate equal to the highest capacity of the entire bitcoin network since inception till mid—2012. The Antminer s9 has an efficacy of 0.98 Joule per GH/s ±7%. The Antminer s9 has 3 circuit boards with 189 chips all for a specific purpose of efficient mining. Other parameters that affect the miner’s profitability includes the pool fee, mining difficulty, power cost, increase or decrease in the exchange rate of bitcoin.
- Pool Fee- Long ago, you could use your home or office computer’s central processing unit (CPU) and Graphics processing unit (GPU) to effectively mine but over time, the complex puzzles or complex hash needed to be solved by miners became more complex. Since mining machines are generally expensive because you need specialized computer chips to efficiently mine bitcoin, miners are setting up mining groups to pull computer resources together because they are left with no choice as their individual hardware cannot handle the heavy workload. You have to pay fees to the pool so it can continue its operations. Bitcoins are distributed to the miners according to their hashrates.
- Mining Difficulty- There is a general increase in the difficulty of mining Bitcoins, which can only be attributed to the increase in the number of miners. This poses a significant problem to the profitability of the Bitmain Antminer s9.
- Power Cost- This is rather straightforward, as machines need the power to function, the electricity comes at a price. The higher or lower the electricity cost in your region determines the profitability of the Antminer s9.
- Exchange Rate/Price of Bitcoin- As mentioned before, the price of the Antminer s9 is directly relative to the rise and fall of the price of bitcoin. Buying a Bitmain Antminer s9 when the price of bitcoin is very high is technically bad business because you would have bought the Antminer s9 at a high price and you might almost definitely never see a return on your investment if the price of bitcoin eventually falls. Also, your view on the rise and fall of bitcoin should be the determinant on whether to get the Antminer s9 or not, the risk to reward should be considered.
- Power Consumption- The BitmainAntminer s9 is an applied specific integrated circuits miner. The efficiency according to its hashrate and power means it is going to consume more power than the previous versions. The Antminer s9 has a power consumption of 1323W±7% which is about 300 Watts more than the Bitmain Antminer s7. The Antminer s9 is the most electrically efficient bitcoin miner out there, using only 0.1joules per Gigahash. The reason for this efficacy is that the Antminer s9 is application specific meaning it is not meant for anything else except to mine bitcoins or SHA 256 hashes.
Setting up the Antminer S9
The Bitmain antminer s9 is a self-contained unit. It requires no connection to another computer. The setup and maintenance process is simple because it has an onboard web portal. When you buy the Antminer s9, a power supply unit (PSU) should also be bought because the Antminer s9 cannot be plugged directly into the wall. If you’re using the antminer APW3++ power supply which is an original equipment manufacturer part to a 220v to the 240v mains supply, you will have to buy a kettle cable separately to connect to the mains because it does not come with one. The Antminer s9 has been known to generate noise so you might want to set it up in an area where it will cause less or minimal disturbance.
Since the Bitmain Antminer s9 needs power and a power supply unit (PSU) to function, the right amount of power must be provided as well as the right power supply unit. It has been gathered that the current power supplies of sufficient quantity are compatible with the Bitmain Antminer s9. The power supply units recommended for use include:
- EVGA supernova 1300 Watt power supply unit which is about $170 on Amazon.
- EVGA supernova 1600 Watt power supply unit which is about $315 on Amazon, it is significantly more expensive than the Antminer of the same output.
- Antminer APW3 -12 1600 Watt bitcoin miner power supply unit which works with a 220v to 240v main supply which is sold for about $200 n Amazon.
Bitmain Antminer S9 miner temperature
Bitmain Antminer s9 miner is designed to be air cooled. It is very easy to use and maintain without worrying about overheating as long as it is kept in a well-ventilated area. You should note that whatever you’re doing to cancel the noise made by the Bitmain antminer S9 is still allowing enough air to circulate to and away from your miner.
It has been gathered that the Antminer s9 generates about 250 cubic feet of air per minute. Always keep a close eye on the Antminer or maybe use a heat sensor to gauge and send you a notification if it gets hotter than the optimal level. The Bitmain Antminer s9 stops working if the temperature rises to about 125 degrees to 130 degrees. You should always try to keep the temperature below 80 degrees. The Antminer s9 is not dangerous to have in your home since there has been no record of the Antminer posing any harm.
In a Nutshell
The efficiency of the device has shown a decline over time, and it is likely to continue to keep reducing Antminer s9 profitability as time passes on.
- It doesn’t waste energy. The device makes sure to utilize every energy and power consumed towards coin productions.
- The device manufacturers offer a 90 days warranty on their products.
- The mining device is enhanced and well-fortified for this function.
- You need an additional power supply unit to run this device. This is just another extra added cost to the already very expensive Antminer S9 price.
- The hash rate of all miners are not the same, this means you can buy two different miners with different hash
Thank you for reading the Antminer S9 review above. We publish new reviews and guides regularly. Scroll through our website for more informative guides.